Wednesday, July 22, 2015

#WednesdayWhatILearnedToday: New Hire Orientation

Today I attended my new-hire orientation for my county. It was from 7:45am until about 10:45am. If you know me (and I believe most of you do) you know I have an opinion on just about everything…
I have been waiting for this day for almost a month (see this post for the beginning of the obsession!). I even went in to grab my orientation packet and figure out insurance and everything as early as I could.

Then, when my alarm went off at 6am this morning, I realized that I felt like I was going off to my first day of school (or teacher work week) already! I was ready to learn about teacher policies, special teacher perks, super important teacher stuff (maybe a special secret handshake?)
Well. That’s not what happened.



I did learn quite a bit, but not the type of stuff that I found completely necessary to spend time on.




Number 1: I learned that those terrible sexual harassment videos still exist in the adult world.

When I was a kid/mini adult/student, I understood that these videos were necessary because some people still weren’t mature enough to see that some of the things they said or joked about were, in fact, offensive. Most women have seen or dealt with sexual harassment first-hand (I’m sure most men, too!). This is a topic that has been covered over and over again. These goofy videos aren’t helping anyone if they only portray the overly sexualized (and overly acted out) interactions. Much of the sexual harassment won’t look like that. In my experience, it will be a small comment here… A small touch there...



Long story short, I think these videos need to be updated. They need to have potential to be taken seriously. If a group of mostly mature adults can’t get through the video without side-eyeing or busting out in laughter at these situations, then why use it? 



This is a serious issue and I don’t want to sound like I’m taking it lightly, but it was a waste of my time. Give me a module to complete instead.



Number 2: I learned that the county policies are on us to read and understand.

While I have no problem reading through the policies by myself (I already had anyway), the fact that the HR lady touched on them for less than 30 seconds makes me wonder how seriously they take them. I want to know (as a goody-two-shoes) what I can do and what I can’t. I want to know what policies cause the most discipline issues. Also, isn’t this the biggest part of HR anyway?




Number 3: I learned that I’m going to have to figure out how to prep for the school year without much to go on.

As an “orientation” session for new teachers, I expected there to be more of a “what to expect in your new job” vibe. Now I know that there were teachers in the room that had taught before in other counties. That’s cool. But not every county has the same rules and they don’t have the same issues. I want to know how my county differs from others in expectations. I want to know what I’m expected to do between now and meeting with my faculty. I want to know about professional development opportunities that I can get a jump start on. I









Number 4: I learned that teachers still do not know how to dress.

Please for the love of all that is good, go and check out Monogrammed Midwesterner’s blog post on how to dress for business casual events. She says some great things about what to wear and what not to wear. I stressed about it. I wanted to look professional but still young and fresh because we were also taking our badge pictures (and I’m positive that my hair did not cooperate. Cross your fingers for me!). I think I ended up making a good choice with my attempt at a Pinterest outfit!
 (coral pants, white lace shirt, and blue blazer)

But I saw multiple girls wearing jeans. I saw one girl in jeans and flip flops. I saw one girl in a halter dress.
I just do not understand.

Things that are not okay:
* flip flops
* anything you could wear to a club
* spaghetti strap tops
* too tight bottoms
* too short bottoms
* something you could do yard work in
* hot fluorescent pink lipstick



It was like I was watching a teacher version of People of Wal*Mart.
It is not that hard to be comfortable and also look nice.






I don’t know what else to say about that.



Have any of you seen some questionable outfits from teachers or even substitutes?!
Leave it in the comments!



Zilla 

1 comment: