Thursday, August 13, 2015

#AllThatGlitters is Classroom DIY

I have done it. 
I have done the Pinterest-y thing and I have triumphed. 
I have tackled the big bad monster of school supplies and I have come out on top (and on trend!)
I am proud.
I am a First Year Classroomzilla. 

My goal for my classroom was to have it organized, interesting, and pretty. I wanted it to reflect who I am and to be an inviting environment. 
And let's be honest, it's way more fun to have people talk about how awesome your room is and how they wished they had thought of it first. I mean, I almost ALWAYS judge how people decorate. I am not necessarily a clean person at home, but my classroom is not for me, it's for my kids. It is important that my room and taste in decor shows that I am capable as a teacher and an adult to work with children.
In my mind, that's how this works.

So, here was my inspiration.


Disclaimer: My pictures were taken on my phone and are not nearly as good as these pictures that I took from Pinterest.


Kelly Green and Gold are our school colors. 
AND HOW PRETTY IS THIS ?!
Easy and cute DIY!!
I really wanted to showcase that I am/will be a teacher who has her stuff together. I want my accomplishments, no matter how small, to motivate others to better themselves. 
Even if it's as small as spray painting some school supplies (that I talk about in this post!) to make others think you have it together...




So, I put on some shorts and my university tank top and headed out to my backyard (and under a tree because it was in the 80s today!) to set up my newspaper. I made sure to tape up anything I didn't want to be painted with some masking tape and got to work!
 I started using the gold base spray and coated everything I could. 
Also, if you're not a person who spray paints a lot, ouch. My fingers were cramping after the first couple of coats!



As a heads up, I was not able to find the Rustoleum gold spray paint that I wanted so, I ended up using Krylon Metallic gold with the Krylon Gold Glitter Blast spray. I had read the reviews that this type tended to run and would need several coats. THIS IS VERY TRUE. It also looked a little more bronze than a light pretty gold (like the pictures above). I wouldn't warn anyone against using this brand, but I would just have to suggest going slowly and spraying from more of a distance than you might think you need.


So because of the darker gold that I ended up getting, It is probably going to look more like a Batman theme than a light and pretty theme, but I think this is probably better. 
(Most Definitely 100% Better)

After letting everything dry for about 2 hours, relocated them upstairs and gave it a thin coat of hairspray to keep the glitter in check.



So, while it wasn't a perfect #PinterestWin, I'm ultimately thrilled. 
Let me know what yall think in the comments!

My last initial. <3

Fun scissors!

Tape dispenser! 

3-hole punch!

Knobs for the drawers.



To see everything put together and in my classroom, follow me on Periscope! 
I'll be doing a classroom tour sometime during the week of Aug 24th!


Until next time!


Zilla

No comments:

Post a Comment