Monday, June 29, 2015

She Wears Short Skirts, I Wear Professional Knee Length Skirts Because I'm an Adult...

As I get older and begin my transition into the adult world, I find myself dressing more and more modestly. I know that people-- females especially-- like to gossip and I don't want to end up being that teacher that dresses more like a student than an adult. We've all seen them...

I have been really peeved about what I've seen and heard about on Twitter and from my friends who have logged hours in a classroom. Short skirts, plunging necklines, sheer material, too-tight pants (or shirts!), sweat pants, yoga pants, or anything that looks better on your students than on a mature adult such as yourself.


Example: Ladies, Cameron Diaz can do no wrong... except in Bad Teacher. The dress is so cute and fashionable but it is not right for school. You are a professional female in the workplace. When you bend over you should not be watched in case something were to sneak out. Not to mention what would happen if you picked up something and had no extra hands to make sure you can keep the dress from riding up. If you are a high school teacher like I am, then the bend and reach test is crazy important! And this dress is a FAIL (at least during the school week).



Example 2: Do I even need to discuss the fact that this is not a dress but a shirt (and that's a BIG maybe)? It is, however, still too low on her torso and she is still showing too much skin. I have seen too many beautiful girls wearing dresses without sleeves or straps or a cardigan! You don't see professional women without their skin modestly covered. And before anyone thinks I'm picking on women, you don't see men wearing tank tops or shirts unbuttoned this low! It's about showing you're an adult and one that is dressed for a professional work environment.




Example 3: For both genders... Say it with me: FLIP FLOPS ARE NOT WORK APPROPRIATE. Ever. Just like wearing six inch heels to teach in all day is probably a terrible idea unless you're like Cameron Diaz (and there are some people who can pull it off-- I'm just not one of them). Ask yourself how you would pace your room and manage your classroom all day long in 6 inch heels. Ouch.  Remember that you are going to be on your feet for 90% of the day. Be good to your feet.



Anyway. Those were just a few of my pet peeves.
Do yall have any others that really grinds your gears about teachers ignoring professional dress code?
Let me know in the comments!



            Zilla

No comments:

Post a Comment